Thursday, August 17, 2017

Three's company!


It was a cool morning a while back--- I saw these harmless garden snakes in a juniper, about 3 feet off the ground.  At first I thought it was two of them simply  uh...  getting to know each other.  But then I looked more carefully and saw that there were three of them intertwined--- probably to keep warm. There are NO harmful snakes in our part of the world, so I have learned not to jump (mostly) when I see them.

Added:   You can't tell sexes by color.  They are commonly called garden snakes, but their official non-latin name is Garter Snakes.  They eat slugs, so are good to have around the garden or farm.

16 comments:

Suza said...

Oh... be careful.

Elephant's Child said...

They are lovely. Most of the snakes here ARE harmful and I would jump several miles.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Brave man.

Rose said...

Our girls would catch these...and I have carried more than one out of the sale room/grading room at work.

Helen said...

I'm not a lover of snakes, but this is an especially beautiful image.

Our news reported last night of a call for help yesterday, when a mother found our deadly brown snake wrapped around her child's lego, at their suburban home on the Gold Coast. Scary! Keep the doors closed!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I used to catch these guys all the time as a kid living outside of Seattle. Interesting how two of them look red and the other is yellow.

Bob Bushell said...

Beautiful photo, three of garden snakes. Tell me please, is the difference colour due to be sexual?

Miguel García said...

Una buena captura y suerte que por esas tierras no sean peligrosas.
Un saludo,

Marty said...

snakes are really beautiful but I don't like meet one here !

Germán Ibarra Zorrilla said...

Preciosas!!!

Babzy.B said...

wow amazing image ! :)

Taken For Granted said...

We use to see garden snakes quite often, but there do seem to be as many now. Fine photo of the three trying to stay warm.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Fabulous colouring Bill. We had NO snakes in Ireland.

What Karen Sees said...

Wow, beautiful color, and they may not be harmful.......but I'd still jump!!

CountryMum said...

Oh my... not sure I would want to come so close to them. So many of Australia's snakes are venomous that I prefer to stay away from all.

orvokki said...

Vauu.. they look very scary though they are not poisonous. But this coloring is very spectacular, and I really jump in the air if I could see these.
Viper, which is our only poisonous snake, is very modest and difficult to detect.