Below the White River Falls is what's left of one of the very first hydroelectric power plants in Oregon. In approximately 1902 the Wasco Warehouse Milling Company, built this powerhouse to power its major mills in The Dalles, some 40 miles to the north. In 1910, the Wasco Milling Company sold the powerhouse to the Pacific Power and Light Company. It was totally abandoned in 1963. By then power was coming from big dams on the Columbia River.